Monday 13 December 2010

Triple dismay

This Saturday two terrible events coincided as the wobbly block got pulled out of the roof down the cave as we were over in Leeds at the comp. This means my close efforts on finishing In Life are down the pan for now but for more than this reason alone...

To compound this news which travelled to us post haste via Andy... I put in a rather poor effort in the Depot comp finishing about 11th and injuring my left shoulder in an attempt to climb two problems which may have got me into the final.

I was on the last move of the red on the barrel wall pressing my left arm out to get my left foot up high under it in order to cross to the finishing hold, when I felt/heard a disturbing crunching sound. I let go instantly and then tentatively moved my arm around thankful it was still moving ok in all directions.

I decided to try the yellow to the right and got to pressing out the last move on that too but my left arm was really hurting and I had to admit defeat.

48 hours later and I have a very weak shoulder. I can lift my arm straight in front but not very well to the side where I get halfway and the pain becomes too much. it hurts if I run and sneeze, so all in all a bit worrying!

The timing could have been worse if I had an imminent trip but I won't be able to make use of the new van I'm getting on Wednesday for a good while yet :(

Hopefully Super Physio Matty D can give me some sound advice this week and I can begin the slow process of rehab. Not had this injury before so totally unsure of when it will be back at full range of motion/strength. A winter of walking and slabs could be on the cards!

Out the game...

1 comment:

lore said...

Rich, nurse that shoulder as much as you can. I had a far smaller injury two years ago and managed to worsen it for almost 6 months.
but I am idiot.